West Virginia University In-State Rules
Rules and regulations for in-state residency vary by university, and so do the costs and benefits of earning residency status. Following you will find a synopsis of the major in-state requirements and a cost comparison overview of the tuition variance for West Virginia University in Morgantown.
West Virginia University Tuition Overview:
Cost per year using total of 24 semester hours (12 hours/semester).
$19,176 out-of-state tuition
$5,712 in-state tuition
$13,464 tuition savings/year
WVU’s Total Cost of Attendance:
Cost per year using total of 24 credit hours (12 per semester), and includes tuition and fees, and average estimates for room and board, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses.
$31,738 out-of-state residents
$18,274 in-state residents
West Virginia University In-State Requirements:
West Virginia University is by far one of the more difficult of schools when it comes to the earning of in-state residency status. A rock-solid case is required showcasing that you moved to the state, and are committed (moving forward and indefinitely) to West Virginia for reasons other than school; this is no easy feat to accomplish. During the required one-year domicile period you are not allowed to attend school whatsoever; thus, this makes WVU a ‘Gap-Year’ school. Employment in-state is also required, and you must be working in the state no less than 30 hours per week. Any absence time outside the state during your domicile period is taken into consideration, with a limited amount of days allowed for absences outside West Virginia. Even stricter yet are the financial components that must be met by the student during the domicile period AND moving forward even after the granting of in-state status—-you must be able to support yourself and all your expenses 100%. Want to stay on parent’s health insurance? No can do. You must cut ties to other states, have intentions of being and remaining in WV for reason(s) other than school, and be able to support yourself moving forward, with no support via gifts or money from others. In general, a good candidate for in-state tuition here is a person who:
- has the intentions of being a permanent West Virginia resident
- can sever all ties to other states and establish them in West Virginia
- is able and willing to not attend school for a year
- can be gainfully employed by and in the state of West Virginia at least 30 hours per week
- is able to remain in the state with limited absence time
- can financially support self and all expenses 100%
Want more, a definitive report detailing everything important you need to know? Check out In-State Angels’ West Virginia University Report. If you’d prefer we just take your information and tell you what your in-state prospects are at WVU, you may want In-State Angels’ West Virginia University Customized Report. To discuss West Virginia University with an expert, check out Consulting. Or maybe you’re interested in having In-State Angels completely oversee your quest for in-state residency and guarantee your results, then you may want to check out In-State Angels’ Full-Client Assessment.
West Virginia University Out-of-State Tuition vs. In-State Tuition:
An annual tuition difference of $13,464, especially when considered over the course of a four-year education, is quite significant with a grand total difference of $53,856 between resident and non-resident tuition.
West Virginia University Financial Aid:
A few things you need to know about financial aid as it relates to earning in-state residency:
- Any financial aid including grants and scholarships that require your being a tax dependent of somebody OR require you to be an out-of-state resident will in general disqualify you from establishing residency. This means that by accepting such awards, you will be getting no closer to in-state tuition.
- Your financial aid is re-assessed after earning in-state status and your Expected Family Contribution will be taken into consideration in light of the reduced tuition you will owe.
See article: Do Your FAFSA…You Will Thank Us Later
West Virginia University Grants:
West Virginia PROMISE
This grant is specifically for West Virginia high school graduates. Recipients are evaluated on test scores, GPA, and community involvement, as well as financial need. Annual awards can be up to $4,750 per year.
The West Virginia Higher Education Grant (WVHEG)
Eligibility is based on both financial need and academic record. Maximum award is $2,600 per year.
West Virginia University Scholarships:
West Virginia Resident Scholarships
WVU offers eight different scholarships for state residents, based on a combination of test scores and GPA. Award amounts begin at $1,500 annually and go as high as 100% of tuition. Students are automatically considered for these scholarships upon admission. Some are highlighted here:
- Presidential Scholarship – Minimum 3.8 GPA and test scores of 1340 SAT/30 ACT. $4,000 per year.
- Rhododendron Scholarship – Minimum 3.65 GPA and test scores of 1260 SAT/28 ACT. $1,500 per year.
- Shenandoah Scholarship – Minimum 3.0 GPA and test scores of 1030 SAT/22 ACT. $1,500 per year.
Incoming freshmen from out-of-state are automatically considered for these scholarships upon admission.
- Academic Excellence (Level 1 or Level 2) – These scholarships offer either $8,000 or $14,000 per year for nonresident students. Applicants must have a least a 3.5 GPA and test scores of 1220 SAT/27 ACT.
- Blue and Gold (Level 1 or Level 2) – These scholarships offer either $5,000 or $6,000 per year for nonresident students. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA and test scores of 1030 SAT/22 ACT.
Tuition Reciprocity/Tuition Waivers
Currently WVU has tuition reciprocity agreements with Ohio and Washington DC. In addition, West Virginia is one of 16 member states of the Southern Regional Education Board. WVU participates in the SREB’s Academic Common Market program, which provides in-state tuition access to degree programs not available in a student’s home state.
Click here to view the school’s undergraduate scholarship page.
Your Situation is Unique
In-State Angels provides an in-depth assessment of your unique situation, personal recommendations on how to get in-state tuition, and an outline of everything important you need to know about earning in-state status at UWV. Personalized Report $79
Personalized Report UWV-Morgantown
In-State Angels provides an in-depth assessment of your unique situation, personal recommendations on how to get in-state tuition, and an outline of everything important you need to know about earning in-state status at UWV.
$19,176 out-of-state tuition/year
$5,712 in-state tuition/year
$13,464 potential savings/year